If graduate school is in your future, it is a good idea to begin planning at least a year in advance.
Here are some steps to help get you started:
- Choose your programs, request applications, and make sure you check your deadlines.
- Take the appropriate standardized tests required by your selected graduate programs. Standardized exams that are most common for graduate school include:
- Prepare a resume or curriculum vitae and provide to anyone writing a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Write a personal statement or essay. Be sure to follow guidelines and write specifically for each application. Your essay should reflect your focus, depth of thinking, and your writing ability.
- Order your transcripts. Click here to go to the registrar's page on information on how to order your transcripts.
- Mail your applications and essays electronically or by certified mail (whatever is preferred by the school or program) no later than a month before the deadline.
- Practice your graduate school interview with our career services team. Prepare as you would for an actual interview by researching the organization/school with which you will be "interviewing." Anticipate questions you may be asked by the interviewer such as “Tell me about yourself”, “Why are you interested in this field?” or “What do you know about our program?”
Our Career Roadmap includes all the important milestones to help prepare you to pursue graduate school. Refer to the Career Roadmap for additional suggestions for CV development and interview preparation.
As you are evaluating the best program for your future career goals, we encourage you to review the diverse range of graduate programs offered here at UNCG.